2011/02/12

Teriyaki chicken Donburi

Today I will teach you how to cook home made Teriyaki chicken donburi (donburi means big rice bowl).
It's also a common addition to bento boxes in Japan.


   ingredients (for 2 people)    

Teriyaki chicken donburi 
☆chicken thigh   200-250g    cubed
☆2 eggs
☆1/2(half) bunch of spinach

sauce
☆1tbsp shoyu(Japanese soy sauce)
☆1tbsp cooking sake(or dry sherry)
☆1tbsp mirin(or honey)
☆1tbsp sugar

<Method>1. mix the sauce ingredients in a cup



2. <spinach>

Simply boiled in salted water and drained.When cool enough chop into 2cm strips.


3.<eggs>

 Beat  the eggs well into a pinch of salt and pepper.Then  pour into lightly oiled pan stirring well with chopsticks.

The consistency you are looking for like bread crumbs that is small dry and yellow.


It takes only 3mins but you have to really scratch it up with those chopsticks.


4.<chicken>


Saute the chicken in a lightly oiled pan.
On medium heat SKIN SIDE DOWN
until skin is crispy.


Then turn over and cover letting the chicken steam until cooked through.
The chicken skin side is very oily, so wipe off  an extra oil in a paper towel.


Turn to low heat adding the teriyaki sauce※(method 1)※ to the chicken,turning often(3-4times) until the sauce is reduced by half.
To complete the Donburi (big rice bowl),the chicken which should be serve warm is arranged on 1/3 of a bowl of hot rice.

1/3each for spinach and egg,the hot sauce is then drizzled mainly over the chicken,but also a little over spinach.

The egg is left undrizzzled for it's beautiful yellow appearance.



Most Japanese home cooking uses mirin(sweet-sake), 
sake(cooking-sake) and shoyu(soy-sauce).
If you can't find them in your local supermarket Japanese food shops are sure to have these and other Japanese ingredients,so please check the internet for your nearest store!!!

Bento box version


9 件のコメント:

  1. Your posts always make me hungry! I miss Japanese food so much!
    The cute Egg formers were totally kawaii. Can you get those for Hello Kitty as well?

    On Monday I will post a letter to you!

    Have a nice weekend!

    Dana

    返信削除
  2. Hi Dana,

    My recipe is chicken,but it's really tasty cook teriyaki salmon instead of chicken!
    I am sorry to say that but no Hello Kitty's mould...

    返信削除
  3. 匿名2/12/2011

    i have to cook a loooot next time :D thank you for inspiring me. this is so much fun.

    kitchen is calling ;) matanee.

    返信削除
  4. Hi Nadine,

    I hope you would enjoy to cook Teriyaki chicken donburi! Do you have mirin,sake and shoyu???

    返信削除
  5. おいしいそう〜

    I'll have to try this. I've made donburi before, but not teriyaki with egg before.

    @Dana; I have seen hello kitty egg moulds! I used to know a site that sold them, but it seems to have vanished. ;a; The moulds are made by Sanrio, so maybe try looking on ebay?

    返信削除
  6. Hi Eel,

    We have many varieties of Donburi,sometimes we use Japanese vegetables but in here,I want to avoid to them!

    返信削除
  7. Hi Minna,

    Thank you for your coming and your message made me very happy!!!
    I would be happy if you feel Japan from my blog.Thanks!!!

    返信削除
  8. Hi Ninja-san

    Always thank you for your yummy recipes. I love combination soy sauce, cooking sake and mirin.

    返信削除
  9. 今日あのレシピが調理しましたよ。来週私のBlogで写真を著します。見てくださいね。

    JB

    返信削除