2011/04/08

Sakura

Sakura season has finally come!!!



Sakura is the most exciting flower for Japanese people so we have been waiting expectantly,by the time it arrives.
Sakura can be seen in so many places ,but the most famous place for seeing sakura is Kyoto amongst the people in my area.


I went to Kyoto and took some photos of "Shidare-zakura" a weeping cherry blossom tree,that had been meticulously shaped and trimmed to become a centerpiece for the gardens surrounding Yasaka Shrine in the Gion area of Kyoto.









On the same day,I had a try at making wagashi(Japanese sweet) and enjoyed special shortened tea ceremony at the Yatsuhashi wagashi factory.The company recently came up with a plan for increasing the appeal of wagashi with Japanese people as well as creating instant amongst foreign visitors to Kyoto.
In recent decades wagashi have become less and less popular with young people increasingly choosing western style cakes,biscuits,chocolate etc over traditional sweets.

But unfortunately they have no English website,the classes are  also taught only in Japanese but if you would like to participate.....please send me an e-mail and i will send you some information.


Making wagashi is similar to clay sculpture.
I've already introduced some wagashi on my blog,the most important thing when making wagashi is keeping to the seasonal theme which represent season.
Using a small bamboo whisk to make foam is very important.

If you have a plan to come Japan,please try wagashi and tea celemony!!!
After the lesson,I went to Gion to see Maiko.I will show you Maiko photos next time.

1 件のコメント:

  1. I hope to see hanabi next time I'll come to Japan ! It seems so beautiful.

    返信削除