2011/01/18

Goemon


Today I'd like to introduce "Goemon",a very popular Japanese-style spaghetti chain restaurant.The restaurant chain is named after "Goemon"a well-known thief from the late Sengoku period(1594) who was finally captured in Kyoto and executed by being boiled alive in a cauldron. Not many details are known about his life and exploits but there are  documents that prove he existed.
If you are a big fan of Samurai drama or Kabuki,you may have heard his name as he often appears as a character.




The name is very apt Goemon having suffered the same fate as the spaghetti being boiled in a pot.It may seem strange to see everyone eating spaghetti with chopsticks,but this is a Japanese spaghetti restaurant so there are no forks available for customers.

My favorite is mentaiko (salted cod roe)with tsukemono (Japanese pickles)and thinly sliced pork,sprinkled with sesame seeds,fine strips of nori(sea laver) and finely chopped spring onions.I usually order this one!!!
Most of spaghetti in this restaurant Japanese style but of course you can eat Carbonara and  Bolognese etc with chopsticks.



You can see plastic replicas of the dishes available in the restaurants front window like this.
When I was taking this photo,the staff were starring at me as though I was a spy from another restaurant,but actually I'm just a big Goemon fan!!!




4 件のコメント:

  1. Hi Ninja-san,

    It is nice spaghetti restaurant. Thank you for your sharing blog of Japan. I have a good opportunity to learning and thinking about Japan.
    I can not wait to see your next blog!

    Skai

    返信削除
  2. Hi Skai-san,

    Thank you for your comment and it always makes me happy.
    Shold I change my blog title "gluttonous life"???

    返信削除
  3. wow... those replicas look really realistic :)
    I love food too.. especially noodles... actually almost all kinds of food :)

    返信削除
  4. Someday,I will show a lot of plastic food on my blog.

    返信削除