2011/01/28

Yaki-onigiri



Yaki-onigiri with Japanese pickles

Yaki-onigiri means roasted rice ball.
Onigiri is a very popular,typical Japanese food.It's easy to eat,so from ancient times people always took onigiri to eat while on pilgrimage or traveling from place to place.
People can buy ready made onigiri  from any of the  numerous convenience stores,bento(lunch box)shops or supermarkets.It's also important to include onigiri in the traditional bento(lunch box),to be taken on any outdoor expedition.
Today,I will teach you how to make Yaki-onigiri with the following pictures.

Ingredients  (for 2 people)
4 triangle shaped onigiri
2tbsp shoyu
1tbs mirin or water

***attention***
when you make onigiri,it's very important to wet your hands and press very firmly.Otherwise onigiri will fall apart.










pour shoyu and mirin(or water)into a saucer, coat  the flat surfaces lightly.
with a teaspoon,you can use rest of sauce to baste the onigiri.










fry in a lightly-oiled pan on low heat,until crispy and nicely browned turning often as they roast.
(it should take about 10 min)




















Eat with vegetable soup(lower right),boiled spinach(upper right) and
Japanese omelette(upper left).
Next time,I will show you how to make Japanese omelette!



8 件のコメント:

  1. How are you Ninja-san?
    It was so good that I cooked for today's lunch.
    The boys really liked it. Thank you for giving the recipe.

    Skai

    返信削除
  2. Really?
    I am so glad that you cooked the Yaki-onigiri.
    I think usually my photo about food is golden brouwn so I realized how much I cook with shoyu in my daily life.
    I appreciate your challenging!!!

    返信削除
  3. Thanks for sharing Japanese recipes. I must ( it's something like a moral duty) learn about Japanese culture, and maybe this might be a good step in the gastronomy section.

    Thank you, as well, because this blog, also helps me focusing on learning japanese (I'm currently teaching myself to write kanji).

    P.s. Your English is quite good.

    返信削除
  4. Hi 01001000,

    Your name is quite funny,anyway thank you for compliment about my blog.I am greedy,so when you come here you could see my favorite food!!!

    I worried about to use Japanese words in here,but your comment relieved me.
    Thanks.

    返信削除
  5. Hehe, my name comes from the representation of the letter H in binary format. But on of these days I'm going to change it, because it sometimes confuses people.

    Anyway, about writing in Japanese, maybe you could write Japanese words with Ruby characters: the kanji and the pronunciation on top of it. You would save space, and it would look great.

    Anyway, that's just an opinion, in case you decide to go further, on using Japanese words.

    返信削除
  6. Hi 01001000,

    Thank you for your constructive criticism!!!

    返信削除
  7. What kind of rice do you use to make the balls? Do I have to use sticky rice? ^.^

    返信削除
  8. Hi Naomi,

    This is not sticky rice,just Japanese rice.I am not sure but I guess Japanese rice might be a quite sticky than other countries one.

    返信削除